3 small very ripe (preferably brown) bananas
1/3 c plain Greek yogurt (I used Fage 2%)
1/3 c crunchy natural peanut butter
3 T unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/2 c brown sugar
1 c white whole wheat flour
1/2 c old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 c ground flax seed
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp allspice (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Add bananas through brown sugar to a large bowl and mix well (or use a stand-up mixer)
3. In a separate bowl, mix flour through allspice. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients in three batches until just combined (over-mixing can cause a “gummy” muffin texture so as soon as the flour is incorporated – lay off the mixing!).
4. Fold in chocolate chips and divide the batter into 12 greased (or lined) muffin cups.
5. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (mine took 20 minutes so I’m giving a range here in case temperatures vary). Remove from the oven and let rest in the pan for 2-3 minutes. Transfer muffins to a cooling rack and let them come to room temp before storing in an airtight container or gallon size zip top bag.