This bread is a great way to use up those zucchini from the garden in a savory way. The salty honey butter adds just the right contrast and sweetness to really bring out the flavor. It’s a beautiful quick bread to include in your brunch spread but can really work well at any meal.
It’s that time of year when you have a garden overflowing with zucchini.
Or if you’re like me, you don’t have a garden but your friends give you zucchini and you need some serious recipe inspiration.
Yes, you can make the classic sweet zucchini quick bread that everyone loves but have you ever gone SAVORY? Once you try it, you might never go back. Look at this beauty!
She’s loaded with a bunch of favorites: sun-dried tomatoes, sharp cheddar cheese, chives. What’s not to like about this flavor trifecta?
The unique addition of buttermilk helps keep the texture soft and dreamy while offering just a hint of tang. I know I’m always looking for ways to use up that leftover 1-2 cups of buttermilk. If you can relate, add this to your list!
If you’re not crazy about the mix-ins here or can’t find something at your grocery store, rest assured you can easily customize this. Here are a few ideas that would work really well:
- Cheese – try smoked gouda, fontina, or pepper jack for added kick
- Nuts – add walnuts, slivered almonds, or pepitas
- Olives – kalamata olives would be a great flavor pairing here
- Herbs – use rosemary, oregano or basil
- Spices – bring the heat with cayenne pepper or smokiness with smoked paprika
Important disclaimer: don’t skip the salted honey butter because it’s the perfect compliment and really elevates this to the next level. I love the sweet/savory combination.
My favorite way to eat this is paired with eggs at breakfast, but it’s versatile and can also be served with a salad and some grilled protein at dinner.
Make it a Meal:
- Watermelon Salad with Feta, Mint & Hot Honey
- Broccoli Crunch Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette
- Salmon Kabobs with Tzatziki
- Cherry Goat Cheese Paletas
Savory Zucchini Bread with Salted Honey Butter
This bread is a great way to use up those zucchini from the garden in a savory way. The salty honey butter adds just the right contrast and sweetness to really bring out the flavor.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 65 minutes
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Baking
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, lightly packed
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
Salted Honey Butter:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 Tbsp honey
- pinch of kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan and line with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk dry ingredients (flour through pepper).
- In a large bowl, mix wet ingredients (zucchini through honey).
- Gradually add dry to wet and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined (be sure not to overmix).
- Fold in sun-dried tomatoes and chives.
- Transfer batter to lined loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until top is golden brown and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Place loaf pan on a cooling rack and allow the bread to cool before removing and slicing. Serve with the honey butter.
- The equipment section above includes affiliate links to things I use often in my kitchen and recommend.
- Customize the mix-ins however you like! Other ideas: nuts, olives, different types of cheese and herbs.
- Nutrition information doesn’t include honey butter
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 252 calories
- Fat: 13 grams
- Carbohydrates: 30 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Protein: 6 grams
Keywords: whole wheat, whole grain, quick bread, low-sugar, breakfast, healthy baking
Want more nutrition tips & recipes?
Subscribe to my bi-weekly emails. I'll recap what's new on the blog, plus share exclusive healthy living tips and resources!